Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Best Enchiladas Ever

And heere it is! This is my top-secret family recipe for enchiladas. It actually belongs to my aunt..who told me never to tell a soul...er...anyways I trust y'all to keep it to yourselves :) -Anyways it's not like enchiladas are rocket science :P But seriously, it's a great recipe. On with it!

**Oh, and before I start, I should mention that I normally marinate the chicken with this Southwest Lime Marinade. It should be done the night before but I've done it as close to an hour before I start assembling the enchiladas and it was still great. I also advise grilling the chicken if you have any grilling implements on hand. It makes a huge difference (though cooking in a pan or oven works great too).

Best Enchiladas Ever
  • 4-6 chicken breasts, cooked & cubed (adjust if you like more or less meat in the filling)
  • homemade enchilada sauce
    • can also use storebought if that's the way you wanna play it :P
  • 5 green onions, diced
  • 2 med tomatoes, diced
    • I usually add more because I am obsessed. Also cherry tomatoes are ideal but you will need about 1 lb.
  • 3 oz sour cream or plain greek yogourt, drained
    • add more/less depending on personal preference.
  • 1 jalapeno chili/5-7 slices pickled jalapenos
  • 5 oz monterey jack cheese, shredded
  • 5 oz cheddar cheese (or more mj cheese), shredded
  • 12 medium tortillas
  • 2-3 cups mild salsa
  • salt & pepper to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 350 C (haven't figured out the degree symbol yet)
  2. Combine chicken, green onions, tomatoes, jalapenos, sour cream, and 5oz of mj cheese in a bowl. Mix lightly so as not to mush up the tomatoes. As noted above, I tend to only use about 1-2oz or sour cream or yogourt in my filling because I don't like a very liquid-y filling. Some people prefer the mildness that upping the sour cream provides, so have a taste and see what you prefer. Also if you use yogourt it should be at least 5% mf because otherwise it'll get really watery on you. 10% is ideal. If you can't get that, sour cream is still your best bet. Also, if you prefer less heat, you can replace the jalapenos with a few dashes of hot sauce or none at all. But really, what fun is that? :P
  3. Lightly grease 2 roasting pans. To assemble, brush a tortilla with your enchilada sauce (i do this with a spoon), and then fill with the chicken mixture and fold closed. Use your own judgement when it comes to filling. This recipe makes about 12 enchiladas if you don't over-fill :) Place fold-down in pan. Repeat until you run out of filling.
  4. Cover your lovely enchiladas with the remained of the enchilada sauce. Then, divide up the salsa between the 2 pans of enchiladas. Lastly, sprinkle with the 5 oz of cheddar/jack cheese and bake in the oven at 350 for about 35-45 min until the top is golden and bubbly.
  5. Serve with lime wedges, black beans, and some cilantro. Enjoy!
Yield: about 12 enchiladas

Hope y'all enjoy. I expect incoming death threats from my extended family any day now.

-GT

No comments:

Post a Comment