Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Miso Soup and a Quinoa Salad

This is what I had for dinner tonight :)


I was feeling like something healthy so I made some quinoa salad and miso soup. Seeing as I cannot ever leave well enough alone, I also prepared some edamame and chopped up some carrots, beets, tomatoes, various herbs, and of course a lime wedge.

More photos and a recipe after the jump!


Finally, because I can never get enough acidity/spice in my food I opted to add in some pickled red cabbage and some sriracha on the side. Or smack dab in the middle :) The little blue flowers are cornflowers from my garden. There's a big spray of them blooming right now and I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a good craft project to feature their gorgeous colour. So in the meantime I decided to eat them! :P Apologies for the terrible lighting and setup, by the way-I'm no food stylist! Also...it's nighttime and I have a realllly messy desk.

In case anyone is interested, here is a recipe :)

Miso Soup and Quinoa Salad ala Grumpy Tomato

Serves 2

For soup:
  • 1 2-3" piece of kombu (dried kelp), sliced into 1/4" wide strips
  • 4 cups of cold water
  • 1 5g package of bonito flakes (my miso paste already had bonito mixed in so I skipped this)
  • 2 tblsp of miso paste (I prefer the medium-strength version that's the colour of butterscotch)
  • 1/8 lb of soft tofu, drained and cut into 1/2" cubes
  • 1 tbsp finely sliced scallions
To make the dashi, or broth, bring kombu and water just to a boil in a 2 qt saucepan. Next, use tongs to remove the kelp from the broth. Set aside. I like to put them back into the soup before serving but you might prefer to use them for something else.

Next, sprinkle the bonito flakes into the liquid and let stand for about 3 min. To strain, pour mixture through a cheesecloth-lined sieve back into the saucepan. Bring back to a simmer and add tofu cubes. Simmer for one min, then remove from heat and add the miso paste. I also added in some spinach at this stage to wilt it a bit. Add scallions (and sriracha!) and serve.

For Quinoa Salad:
  • 1 cup of quinoa grains (preferably soaked in warm water and a tbsp of kefir for 3 hours min)
  • 1 cup of chicken or turkey broth (add an extra 1/2 cup if you want a more risotto-like texture)
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 beet, peeled and julienned
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
  • 1 cup steamed edamame
  • 1-2 tbsp of chopped herbs, such as basil, chervil and dill
  • spice mix of your choice (more on that below)
  • 1 lime wedge
First, saute the chopped onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil. When translucent, add the garlic and saute until just fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add in your broth. Now, spice according to your mood! I was feeling Moroccan/Asian (I know...) so I added in a pinch of each of these spices; ras el hanout, sea salt, fennel seeds, coriander seeds (ground!), dried thai basil, and some dried lemongrass. I also added ginger and a touch of garlic-chili paste. I usually try to abstain from over-seasoning but in this case the quinoa benefits from a little jazzing up.

Bring the mixture to a simmer and let the quinoa soak up the broth, stirring occasionally. This should take about 15-20 min. I should mention that if you like your quinoa a little on the fluffy side you can feel free to sub in some water for the broth and cook it a little longer. It's a matter of personal preference :)

While your quinoa is simmering away, prepare your produce: julienne the carrots and beets, steam the edamame, chop the tomatoes and herbs, slice that lime, and ready your pickled red cabbage. I used what I had on hand but I wholeheartedly encourage experimentation with some fresh seasonal ingredients. I think some roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and maybe some squash would be a fab variation! Hmmm....maybe that'll be tomorrow's dinner :P Anyhow..texture-wise, I prefer my veggies raw in grain salads-it adds a nice contrasting cruch to the soft, fluffy grains.


When your quinoa is done, season to taste with salt and pepper....or preferably soy sauce and sriracha. Now, pile it in a serving bowl, heap in your gorgeous veggies and garnish with the chopped herbs and lime wedge. Feel free to add in more sriracha as well (I put that sh*t on everything).

If you enjoy complicating things (and I do), you might be tempted to whip together a quick vinaigrette composed of some minced ginger, balsamic vinegar (or rice wine vinegar), a splash of soy sauce, and some olive or sesame oil. You might also be then tempted to drizzle said vinaigrette over your gorgeous and healthy dinner. You know...if you're like me and you love layers of flavours and loads of condiments..but don't be like me.

Alright guys and dolls, that's about it for now! Check back tomorrow for some photos from my DC adventure, as well as a design feature!

-GT

No comments:

Post a Comment