Monday, February 8, 2010

Superbowl Sunday

Hey y'all. :)

I'm hanging out on the couch watching the end of the Superbowl. Now, I'm a pretty rudimentary sports fan. I don't really watch soccer (my countries always lose out really early anyways). I still have a lot to learn about hockey. My boyfriend gets exasperated when I get angry at hockey officials for calls I only half understand so. Somehow despite my mom's rabid Wolverines fandom (she's class of '76 I believe), I have avoided becoming obsessed with the University of Michigan. Essentially, when you add all of this up....I have no place passing judgement on the Superbowl, so I will avoid speaking about it. Now, about that halftime show ..... :P

I thought the Who put on a pretty good show...or at least their lighting guy did. The stage and lighting were fantastic. I also appreciated all of the vintage Who trademarks; the Quadrophenia-era colours everywhere and Who logo flashing at the base of the stage, the "mod" design on Zak Starkey's symbols, Roger Daltrey's moddish getup (someone's been shopping at Ben Sherman?), and of course Pete Townshend's legendary "windmill". Another Who trademark? -Pete Townshend thinking he can sing. Yes I know the bits he chimed in on are the bits he chimes in on in the original songs but...his voice hasn't exactly improved with age, has it? Alright anyhow I thought that despite all that they actually sounded pretty good.

As for the rest of the game, I am actually pretty happy with the outcome. Most of my family is from the midwest but I think it's great for New Orleans. If there ever was a town that deserved a good morale boost, New Orleans would be it :) Congrats, Saints!

As you can probably guess, I didn't have a very eventful day. -The best thing about it has been the time I've spent with my boyfriend (not to denigrate that at all :) ). I did manage to obtain the fuel cannister for my creme brulee torch...which allowed me to terrorize my munchkin of a younger sister by telling her I was going to use it to singe off all of her nose hairs in her sleep. Aaand I made cupcakes using Alton Brown's chiffon cupcake recipe. I thought I'd done pretty well making the batter and folding in the egg whites and all that jazz until I took a peak at them at halftime. The damn cupcakes were cooked! Over-cooked! Nary a risen mound in their ranks! My mutinous oven pulled a fast one on me and superheated my precious cupcakes. Most disheartening. I did manage to whip up a decent buttercream frosting for my slightly singed confections though. Oh frosting, my saviour, you hide a multitude of sins :)

Ok so maybe the oven was alreayd really hot from the hors d'oevres my mom had made beforehand and I was just too lazy to make sure the temperature was even throughout. They still look cute. Sue me, Alice Waters.

In terms of how I fared with the rest of my to-do list...not so great :s I cleaned up the pile of papers under my desk...pretty painful because many of the notes were from courses that I had to drop when i was really depressed or ones that I didn't do so well in because I was...again in the depths of depression. I literally felt like I couldn't do anything. I was constantly anxious and sad. Anyhow sorry to get off topic. The Caps game was great (well mainly because they won). The reffing was atrocious as usual: the phantom call on Jeff Schultz in the 3rd, the non-calls on preciou Sidney when he got a little too chippy, the non-call on one of their guys for tripping Ovechkin. And then after the game Orpik revealed himself as the tool that he is by complaining to the refs. And then whining to the press about Alexander Semin acting like a child after Orpik got him in the face with his stick. Sure, Semin could have embellished it, but that's nothing new in the spot of hockey. In fact, since Orpik is a Penguin he must be an expert in recognizing when a guy is putting on an act. Good on you, Orpik-I would expect nothing less. Hey how did that all wok out for you anyways? Oh you got a game misconduct? Well, ain't that a shame. When you add that to the fact that despite the generous officiating the Pens STILL couldn't defeat the Capitals..man not a good day to be Brooks Orpik.

As you can see I get pretty into my hockey games. Now, this is probably a sympton of my so-called bandwagoner's fandom but hey, you were all there once, right? Anyhow other than what I've mentioned..I didn't have all that productive a day. I am giving myself a temporary pass because it was Superbowl Sunday though. Tomorrow I'll get the rest of it done and repot here. Oh and the enchilada recipe will be posted as well. I'd put up some pics of the cupcakes but I've gotta get to bed so I can be ready for class tomorrow.

Hope you had a great Superbowl Sunday!  :)

-GT

No comments:

Post a Comment